Follow our journey

Follow our journey

Saturday, December 14, 2013

She's here!!

Oh my word! What a whirlwind of emotions, the last couple days. This is going to be a long update, so sit back and relax.

Tuesday morning we said our goodbye's to Emma. I had an appointment in Madison and was going to be staying the night. I cried all morning. My sweet Emma is so innocent and had no clue what was coming. Saying bye was brutal, David and I cried as we prayed over her. We prayed/are still praying for peace and understanding for her.
We checked in at the Ronald McDonald House and had one last date night. (:

December 11, 2013-
We arrived at the hospital bright and early, ready to have a baby. I am usually not a breakfast eater, but of course the one morning that I am not allowed to eat, I was starving. I was all ready to go, and was walking down the hall for the operating room when a doctor walked by and informed us that we were bumped. Oh well, no big deal. FINALLY I was taken back at 12:45, 3 hours later than I was supposed to be. Everything happened so fast from that point. Before I knew it, they were pulling her out. I heard that cry and immediately turned into a blubbering mess. Her cry was perfect. David went with Amelia and her team then came back with her so I could see her. I was able to give her some much needed kisses, I told her how much I love her, and told her to be strong. They took her up to the NICU and David followed. Finally he came back and told me that she only weighed 8 pounds and was 20.5 in. So tiny compared to Emma!

My recovery was AWFUL! It took 6 hours to get my pain under control, but once it was under control, I felt great. Amelia was transferred that night, but first made a pit stop by my room so I could see her. 

The next day there was some confusion on when I would be leaving, but I finally broke free and was transferred to UW. I finally got to hold my sweet girl for the first time. Tears, everywhere! 

Words cannot express how much I love this little girl. My heart both jumps for joy and breaks every time I see her. 

She has been doing really well, so far. There have been a couple things that she has done that shows signs of her heart condition. There are so many doctors and nurses keeping a close eye on her because a slight change can turn into a big problem really quickly. 

Her surgery is scheduled for Tuesday. On Monday, though, her surgeon wants to perform another echo to see if anything has changed. Her initial echo showed a decent sized left ventricle, but when they put the measurements into 4 different programs, they all say that she needs to go forward with the Norwood (first out of three surgeries for HLHS)surgery. He wants to get another echo to make sure that left ventricle doesn't grow. If it does grow, there is a possibility for a repair of that ventricle. The typical HLHS surgeries are to build up the right ventricle, so that it's the only working ventricle, but very strong. We would love for her left ventricle to grow. It's a very small chance, but God is big and can do anything, so we're praying for this miracle. If it doesn't happen, we'll be going forward with the Norwood on Tuesday. 

God is encouraging us so much. In the very same PICU, there are 2 other babies who have the same condition. One has had the second surgery and is 4 months old. It was so good to see him because he looks so normal and happy. He had surgery last Tuesday and is already kicking around and smiling like a typical 4 month old. We also met a 6 week old who is a couple weeks out from her Norwood. Her parents are so strong and optimistic. They gave us a care package the day we got there. 

We need your prayers. We're praying for a miracle in the left ventricle. 
It's also very hard, being away from Emma. We saw her a couple times, but it's not enough. I miss her so much. She is doing really well with her nana. I don't think she is having a hard time at all, it's me who is struggling. Prayers for peace while we are separated would  be wonderful. 


This is a mushy little tid bit, so feel free to skip over. I have never loved David so much. When we had Emma, I saw his love for her, and it made me fall in love with him all over again. Having Amelia has done that again. He is so incredibly strong. He has been there for me and for Amelia, and I am so grateful for him. Without him, I would be so lost. 


Sorry if this blog is all over the place and sometimes doesn't make sense. My mind is all over. I am so tired and cannot think properly. (:

Thanks everyone
Love y'all,
Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment